Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ric Flair on Randy Savage


“My thoughts about Randy are different,” said Ric Flair. “I think he was such a competitive guy. Randy had a really hard time relaxing and I feel bad. I think about the times I used to say to him, `Hey, man, just calm down and don’t worry about this and this, whatever happens is going to happen.’ If you go to sleep at night worry about what’s going to happen the next day, it’s just too hard.”

“I never had personal differences with him, nothing about lifestyle. It was just about business and it doesn’t stop my opinion, he always did favors for me. He came in and opened some of my Gold’s Gyms. We were great friends. He and I clashed in business but outside of the ring, we were great. He could drink beer and have a good time. And I made him laugh and helped him take his mind off things that bothered him. We got along great and had a lot of fun together.

“I used to say to him all the time, he probably died with $300 million in the bank, I’m being facetious, but Randy was very thrifty. He used to say to me all the time, because he would stay at hotels that were less cost effective than where I stayed, you can criticize it all you want but I’m going to enjoy the moment because you never know. The irony is that Randy was only 58 years old. That’s sad because I guarantee you he’s got enough money to live 200 more years.

“He worked very hard to earn it. He deserved it. But I always used to say to him, `Man, you live for the day.’ Today’s another example of why you have to live for today. You never know.” 

---
I'm still kind of struggling with the loss of Randy Savage even as a "watch old shit and talk about it" wrestling fan. There was no one like Savage. And without meaning to sound like a fuddy duddy, the world has been a little less awesome knowing that Randy Savage isn't out there, somewhere, doing anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment